Verdict: Get A GREAT MOVE if there’s a big move coming soon – or find it even if there are no plans to pull up stakes. This great and helpful guide just might inspire a life-changing adventure.
With examples and wise advice, A GREAT MOVE thoughtfully outlines how to succeed when moving across continents and countries. There are checklists and questions that easily guide the potential expat through each step: from decision to moving day to unpacking in a new home. Follow the advice, with each step broken down into manageable pieces, and the bumps and bruises of moving far away will be fewer and less painful.
Yet, the best thing about A GREAT MOVE is the caring and thoughtful nature of author Katia Vlachos’ advice. She’s undertaken several moves – alone, as a married couple and with her family. Through her own experiences, research and interviews, Vlachos developed five guidelines, which she labels the Right Principles. Each helps potential global nomads find success as they uproot themselves and explore the world. Each one takes into account not just what to do, but urges potential expats to understand and think about their personalities, their goals and their desires when making decisions. Who am I and what do I expect from a great move?
Vlachos consults on moves for people and businesses that transfer employees across oceans and borders. She knows what it takes to make moving successful.
- Principle 1 explores the concept of home – is it people, places, geography or things or even something else.
- Principle 2 underscores the importance of how an expat goes through the process of transitioning from one life in one place to a new life far away.
- Principle 3 reminds the person moving to take care of herself. Moving brings stress, and using familiar coping mechanisms to relieve stress is important to a successful adventure.
- Principle 4 places importance on the other person moving – a partner. Remember to understand a partner’s needs and how that person’s personality functions before, during and after the great move.
- Principle 5 explores the effects on children when they move. Children process moves differently than adults, and children of different ages and temperaments face the challenges in different ways.
Vlachos walks the reader through each of these in separate, well-organized chapters.
Get A GREAT MOVE if there’s a big move coming soon – or find it even if there are no plans to pull up stakes. This great and helpful guide just might inspire a life-changing adventure.
~Greg Rideout for IndieReader