Who Wins What, and Why
Judging for the IRDAs will be based—first and foremost—on the quality of writing and the originality of the story. While editing, production quality and cover and interior design will also be considered, the goal of the IRDAs is to find talented writers and great books.
HOW MANY WINNERS WILL THERE BE?
- There will be a first, second and third prize winner in both the fiction and non-fiction categories.
- There is the potential for there to be one winner in each of the 50+ sub categories, but judges will only pick a winner if the book receives a 4-5 star rating, which the author will be made aware of. If a book receives this designation, it will go on to a second reader. If the rating is less than 4 stars then the book will not be a category winner.
- If a book receives a 4-5 star rating, whether or not it wins, it will receive an “IR Approved” designation to alert booksellers and book buyers of its merit.
- Winners will be announced at the end of May, 2016.
WHAT DO THE WINNERS GET?
You Want an Agent?
IndieReader formed an alliance with New York-based Dystel, Goderich and Bourret Literary Management, whose client list includes indie (and formerly indie) authors including Tracey Garvis Graves, Colleen Hoover, Abbi Glines and Samantha Young. D&G has agreed to review the top six winners of the IRDAs with an eye towards signing them for representation.
You Want a Traditional Publisher?
We have a judge from the “Big 5″, one of the top publishers IN THE WORLD.
You Want Some Buzz?
Our panel of judges include top PR people, bloggers, and book reviewers. They will be reading your book. And if they love it they’ll be sure to spread the word.
Additionally, past IRDA winners have received exposure in major media outlets, including The Huffington Post and The Wall Street Journal, trade publications including Shelf Awareness and GalleyCat/MediaBistro.
The top winners in the fiction and non-fiction categories will receive the following:
- A Kindle Paperwhite 3G
- First look consideration with an eye to representation from Dystel, Goderich and Bourret Literary Management
The winners from each sub-category (in addition to the top winners), will also receive the following:
- A professional IndieReader review
- Exposure to a panel of judges who can make a difference in your book’s success
- An IndieReader “All About the Book” feature
- A sticker pronouncing your book an “IndieReader Discovery Awards” winner
- An IRDA Winner designation in IndieReader’s new app
The first place winner in the Fiction and Non-Fiction categories will also get the following:
- A review from Kirkus Reviews, a powerful resource for millions of readers, writers, librarians, media executives and the publishing industry.
CAN YOU GUARANTEE ANY TYPE OF PUBLISHING DEAL IF I WIN?
No, there is no guaranteed publishing deal. But publishers—along with very credible agents, publicists and reviewers—will be reading your work. In fact, the whole reason the judges are participating is to try and find talented writers who might otherwise be overlooked. They are very busy people. Otherwise why would they bother?