The Cooking Lab (aka Nathan Myhrvold and his team), publisher of the encyclopedic six-volume set “Modernist Cuisine” , which immediately became the definitive reference for molecular/science-based cuisine, has now produced a lavishly illustrated guide for home cooks, complete with all-new recipes tailored for cooking enthusiasts of all skill levels (the ebook version is now available exclusively at inkling).
“Modernist Cuisine at Home”, by Myhrvold with Maxime Bilet, is destined to set a new standard for home cookbooks. The 456-page volume contains all the essential information that any cook needs to stock a modern kitchen, to master Modernist techniques, and to make hundreds of stunning recipes.
The book includes a spiral-bound Kitchen Manual that reprints all of the recipes and reference tables on waterproof, tear-resistant paper. Drawing on the same commitment to perfection that produced “Modernist Cuisine”, “Modernist Cuisine at Home” applies innovations pioneered by The Cooking Lab to refine classic home dishes, from hamburgers and wings to macaroni and cheese.
More than 400 new recipes are included, most with step-by-step photos that make it easy to bring dining of the highest quality to your own dinner table.
Among the amazing techniques you’ll find are:
• how to cook fish and steak perfectly every time, whether you’re in the kitchen, the backyard, or tailgating in a parking lot;
• how to use a pressure cooker to make stocks in a fraction of the usual time while capturing more of the flavor;
• the secret to making quick, sumptuous caramelized vegetable soups and purees;
• how to outfit your home oven to make pizzas as crispy as you would get from a wood-fired brick oven;
along with recipes for:
• perfect eggs and breathtaking omelets that remove the guesswork for stress-free breakfasts, even for a crowd;
• gravies and a hollandaise sauce that are wonderfully rich, perfectly smooth, and never separate;
• a flawless cheeseburger and an ultrafrothy milk shake;
• chicken wings made better with Modernist techniques, plus seven great sauces and coatings for them;
• macaroni and cheese, including stove-top, baked, and fat-free versions, that can be made with any cheese blend you like, from gouda and cheddar to jack and Stilton.
“Modernist Cuisine at Home” is an indispensable guide for anyone who is passionate about food and cooking, with enough recipes top keep you busy until your resolution starts to fade in February.
Like What You're Reading?
Subscribe for the latest indie book reviews and news, features, tried-and-true author advice and exclusive promotions, delivered to your inbox.